We at Nelda are proudly dedicated to our goal of planting and nurturing more and more trees across the city of Pune and we look forward to expanding our mission in other parts of the country as well.
Many people have been asking us what’s the motive behind all this and how far can tree plantation go to help our environment and society? To answer this, today we take a quick look at why we think tree plantation is essential for our society and environment.
Environmental Benefits of Tree Plantation
We all know that trees are like the lungs of the Earth. They breathe in the carbon dioxide in the air and exhale oxygen. Moreover, they provide habitat for birds and animals. But this is just too basic! To understand how tree plantation is essential for the planet, let’s look at these statistics:
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) is one of the main contributing factors to the greenhouse effect. Trees trap carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and use the carbohydrates in it for growth. In return, they exhale oxygen which is of utmost importance for a clean environment. According to a study, tens of thousands of crores tons of carbon is stored in the trees from the urban forests in India. Mature trees can absorb coarsely 21 kilograms of carbon dioxide in a year. In return, a mature tree releases oxygen which is enough to sustain two human beings.
- Tree plantation can also help us in dealing with ozone layer depletion. They stand as an obstruction in the way of the harmful UV rays, thus protecting us from its side-effects.
- Trees reduce urban water overflow and erosion by storing water and breaking the force of rainfalls. In America, according to a report given by the USDA, 100 mature trees can reduce rainwater overflow up to 3,75,000 litres! If these are the statistics in America, imagine how much it can be helpful in case of Indian cities. If we plant more and more trees in our cities and villages, we can save all the water that runs down the concrete road and finally goes in vain. We can also stop a great amount of soil erosion which takes place due to lack of enough trees.
- Tree plantation can also help in reduction of noise pollution in the crowded noisy cities and towns. Trees absorb sound and reduce noise density. Thus, tree plantation is especially important for areas where people live near freeways. According to a study, a group of trees can reduce noise pollution by about 10 decibels.
- Besides this, the shade of the trees cools down the air and reduce the “Heat Island” effect. Planting trees and other vegetation can help reduce the urban heat island effect and deal with the constantly mounting hazard of global warming.
Tree Plantation and Energy Conservation
When you have plants around your home, you feel the coolness and airiness in the surroundings. They can cool your home down in the hot summers, limiting the use of electricity. The Arbor Day Foundation states that the overall effect of the shade of a healthy tree is equivalent to 10 room-size air conditioners running for 20 hours a day!
In the days of chilly winter, trees can act as windbreaks for your home. They can save you on heating costs. A study states that a bunch of mature trees can save up to 25 percent of your heating costs.
Not only around the homes, but if enough trees are planted in cities, the overall climate in the cities and towns can get fresher than before.
Physical and Mental Health Benefits of Tree Plantation
Physical health benefits of plants are very popular. They help us reduce respiratory problems, and many other health-related issues. However, have you ever noticed that you begin to feel good when you are among trees? You begin to feel fresh, cool and nice. This shows that trees are not only physically useful for us but also mentally essential.
There are some surprising revelations about this. According to a study conducted by the University of Cambridge, job satisfaction of employees in offices with a view of trees was more as compared to others.
Another example is with children who have learning disorders. Kids who suffer from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) can benefit from the presence of trees and greenery. This is a proven therapy which shows that ADHD kids get calmer, more responsive, and better able to concentrate when they are in a space with lots of trees.
Tree Plantation for Visual Beauty
Trees make surroundings look wonderful and fresh. Having nice lush green gardens and hills to stroll on windy evenings gives incomparable pleasure. So, tree plantation, designing of beautiful landscapes in the town should be a part of urban planning in India. Homeowners should also become proactive and begin to plant beautiful trees around their bungalows and societies. A small effort today can work wonders in the future!
In Pune city, we have beautiful projects like ‘Smrutivan’ which encourage planting trees in the memory of your loved ones. Likewise, Nelda is a group of enthusiastic youth in Pune who are dedicated to planting and maintaining trees for contributing to environmental conservation. We aim to influence the plantation and maintainance of a billion trees in the coming 25 years in Pune and all over India. And we want to encourage more and more people to join hands with us!